Tuesday, February 14, 2012

So I Slowly Whisper I Love you 32 and a 3rd Times


My love is halfway across the world this Valentine's Day, so I can especially relate to this super sweet poem. It speaks of long distance love in a world where people are only allotted 167 words, each day. Tweet Tweet :)

It's in one of my fav poetry compilations - The Last American Valentine from Write Bloody Books. Perfect VDay present for yourself!!


The Quite World
BY Jeffrey McDaniel

In an effort to get people to look
into each other’s eyes more,
the government has decided to allot
each person exactly one hundred
and sixty-seven words, per day.

When the phone rings, I put it
to my ear without saying hello.
In the restaurant I point
at chicken noodle soup. I am
adjusting well to the new way.

Late at night, I call my long
distance lover and proudly say
I only used fifty-nine today.
I saved the rest for you.

When she doesn’t respond, I know
she’s used up all her words
so I slowly whisper I love you,
thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
and listen to each other breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment